Thursday, January 5, 2012

What are We Teaching Our Children?

www.huffingtonpost.com

One of my best friends shared this with me yesterday. I am utterly horrified and am about to get on a soap box. Really, she bought a 7 year old liposuction to go with the boob job she already gave her?!?! If you watch the video at the end of the article, you will see the mom on an episode of The Drs and she is literally justifying her purchases!! I don't care if you are an "Associate" (whatever that is) for a plastic surgeon and that you have the means to do it, you are telling a 7 year old that she isn't going to be pretty enough and that image is everything. Just because you wanted to be a human Barbie doesn't mean your daughter should be a human Skipper. The mom's logic is that she can use them when she's 18 IF she wants to. If you watch the video you can clearly see this CHILD idolizes her mother and wants to be just like her, because she is famous for being "beautiful". Of course this child will want to do plastic surgery as soon as she can!! Hate to tell you, honey. You mom is famous due to her stupidity of having so many procedures, not because she is "pretty"(and really her mom is a Monet.....pretty from afar but a big mess up close). Poor child already looks like she is primed to be the next Lindsay Lohan or Anna Nicole Smith, bless her heart. And really, what 7 year old can make a rational decision about what they want in life? If she was 17, it would be different. It's like that show Toddlers and Tiaras. Just a big old fashioned train wreck waiting to happen. Of course I watch that show not for the toddlers but to watch the parents try to live out some fantasy through their children. Those kids are going to have their own problems too, but not as bad as this poor child I hate to say. Her road is going to be very bumpy.

It seems like children are winning these days. It's like they can't do anything anymore and parents are allowing this to happen. And the parents are letting them do it. Like the mom encouraging the daughter's desire to be just like her. Working in a university, I get to see many different types of people and parents are turning out to be the biggest hindrance in the whole deal. I love the term 'Helicopter Parent' because that is exactly what they are. They hover around and make decisions for their children (who are actually adults since they are in college) and hold their hands. And they sure get mad when I tell them about FERPA and that I cannot discuss their child with them unless they fill out the necessary paperwork. Most of us had  parents would help us with our homework, but they wouldn't DO IT for us. It's like parents can't hold their kids accountable for their actions and reactions anymore.  And I don't understand why. When did society go from one that encourages hard work, morals, and accountability to one where we are essentially lazy people and instead of taking responsibility for our own paths, we blame others. Just like the 7 year old who cannot make a rational judgement about her future, a teenager or young adult should not be held back by parents who do not expect much from their kids and who want to do everything for them. We are not teaching them anything good by doing this. 


I am now off of my soapbox. Thanks for coming by!! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment